Gambling is fun and exciting if done responsibly. Unfortunately, it only takes some unaccounted hours before you become hopelessly addicted to this activity. The urge to make easy money and the exciting experience associated with gambling are the primary reasons that get people hooked on gambling to no end. Responsible gambling comes in as one of the most important factors while gambling. In order to access safe and fair gambling, it is vital to know the risks associated with gambling and how you can use responsible gambling provision for your benefit.
What is Responsible Gambling?
Whether you gamble in a brick and mortar casino, online casinos, or casually with your group, it is always enthralling. However, it doesn’t take long for one to become addicted to such activities. This is when responsible gambling comes into action.
Responsible gambling is a set of guidelines or regulations that one needs to follow in order to stay safe from gambling addiction. These rules are set in place and regulated by legitimate gambling authorities and organizations for the safety of the players in casinos. The rules are aimed at providing a safe gaming environment to the players without risking their overall well-being and are designed for casinos as well as the players.
All online casinos licensed by reputed gambling authorities are mandated to follow responsible gambling guidelines and set up provisions on their website to protect players from the abysmal trap of addiction.
Signs of Gambling Addiction
Gambling addiction can cause havoc in one’s life. Without having the slightest hint, one may get trapped in the infinite loop of gambling, hence facing addiction. An addict is rarely able to analyze and detect addiction, living in constant denial of the fact. When the realization hits, it is mostly too late. The player might have wrecked their personal and social life, hit the ground bottom financially, and fall into a major life crisis.
People around an addict might be able to point out addiction but the addict stays oblivious and delusional. The key to getting over an addiction has always been self-evaluation. There are certain behavioral and psychological aspects that one can look out for in order to understand if they’re addicted to gambling. Some common signs include:
- Spending most of the time gambling.
- Ignoring priorities and essential tasks to gamble
- Forgetting important information/tasks
- Always think about gambling or ways to excel in a casino game
- Lie about time and money invested in gambling
- Your personal and social life suffers due to gambling
- Your daily schedule revolves around your gambling activities
- Run out of money during gambling
- Cut down on essentials in life to save up for gambling
- Sell possessions or steal to fund your player’s account
- Feel frustrated on losing a game, not being able to gamble, not having money to gamble
- Gambling starts taking a toll on your mental health, causing stress and anxiety
- Strive to win games and recover losses endlessly
- Bet big amounts that you can’t afford to lose
- Just can’t stop gambling
If you find yourself facing even one of these issues, it is highly recommended to log out and take some time off gambling. If there is anything like ‘the worst life decision’, ignoring these symptoms will be the biggest one. It may be the tip of the iceberg that may end up sinking your entire livelihood and life.
It is necessary for every gambler to remember that betting and gambling is just for the sake of light-hearted rejuvenation. It should become a painstakingly scheduled task for anyone. The money made out of these games are merely extra income. Easy money is never the right way to go. The right move, even when people around you point out your addiction, is to get yourself out of it without delay. Remember, ‘one last game’ can become your first step to self-destruction so take an action right now!
How to Be a Responsible Gambler
It is crucial for your well-being to keep a check on your gambling activities. In order to keep control over your gambling-pangs and avoid addiction, it is important to consider some key values associated with gambling.
Here are some fundamentals you should always keep in mind while gambling:
- Gambling is just for fun: Gambling is not a competitive sport, neither do you need to bring home gold for this activity. It is a mere activity for enjoyment and it should be kept that way. The only difference is that it is a form of paid enjoyment, just like going to an amusement park- you can’t spend your entire savings and days on the rides. Be mindful of what you bet and how long you play, you’ll be good to go.
- Not a source of income: Come on, repeat after me- gambling is not a job or a business. It should never be treated as one. The amount you win through gambling should only be treated as some extra perks, but you can’t run your life on it. Even if you win 9 times, you will definitely lose the 10th. This is because online casinos are businesses too and they have a house edge which makes the profits for the casino. Do not, in your wildest dreams, prioritize gambling over your source of income or believe it to be one.
- Betting Limit: It is easy to lose track of finances amid the excitement of betting and winning. However, it is important to be extremely aware of how much you bet else you’ll end up draining your bank account of every last penny. Set a betting limit for yourself. It can be on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, depending on your gambling frequency. Keep the rest of the amount as forbidden money with regards to gambling. Never let yourself off the hook, come what may.
You now know the important factors to save yourself from jumping off the cliff with gambling addiction. While it is imperative to be wise and aware while gambling if you find yourself in a troubling situation, don’t hesitate to ask for help from your loved ones. You can also opt for responsible gambling measures on your casino website. Remember to never let yourself succumb to this dreadful state.